Couples who undergo surrogacy treatment initially receive IVF treatment. Upon egg stimulation program which starts on 1st, 2nd or 3rd day of a female’s cycle which lasts for 10-12 days, egg pick up is conducted. Fertilization of the eggs with the sperm takes place. Progression of the embryos is monitored and the embryos of the couple are transferred to the surrogate mother on the most appropriate day.
Can my sister or a relative be a surrogate mother?
There are women who provide surrogacy professionally in return for an agreement. If this is not preferred then family members (sister and other relatives) or close friends can be used.
Under what circumstances and why is surrogate used?
- Women who do not have a uterus by birth
- Women who have their uterus removed as a requirement of a surgery (tumours, myomas, cancer etc.)
- In order to prevent repeated miscarriages
- Women with Asherman’s syndrome (with a uterus but not suitable for pregnancy)
- In cases where pregnancy and birth pose a risk (women who have serious problems related to heart and lungs, women with clotting disorders which can pose fatal risks)
- Women with natal anomalies
- Homosexual partners
- Women who prefer not to give birth due to social reasons
Can donation patients also use a surrogate mother?
- Both egg donation and sperm donation patients can also use a surrogate.
Who can be a surrogate mother?
- Young and healthy women
- Women who do not have any contagious diseases
- Women who don’t smoke or consume alcohol or have any drug additions
- Women who have previous pregnancies resulting in healthy births
- Women who do not have pregnancy related diabetes or pre-eclampsia in their previous pregnancies
- Women who are suitable for surrogacy socially and psychologically
- Women who don’t have chronic diseases (diabetes, high blood pressure etc.)
- Women who are not anorexic or obese (BMI index i.e. body mass index being in a normal range)
How is a surrogate mother prepared?
Specialists conduct gynaecological examination, relevant blood tests and also check psychological condition of the surrogate mother candidate in order to assess her suitability for pregnancy.
Surrogate mother’s treatment is planned with her cycle preparing her uterus for pregnancy. In this treatment process, ultrasound scans are carried out with regular intervals and embryo transfer takes place once the uterus is ready.
If there are any frozen embryos then these embryos are transferred. If there are no frozen embryos then the IVF treatment of the couple is synchronized with the inter uterus preparation of the surrogate mother and embryos which are fertilized in a laboratory setting are transferred fresh to the surrogate mother on the appropriate day.