Fertilization of a woman’s egg with her partner’s sperm in the laboratory, is called in vitro fertilization IVF ,followed by implantation of the resulting embryo in her uterus. The first signs of successful implantation and early pregnancy generally appear about two weeks after the procedure. You may find yourself noticing every change in your body, every cramp, every possible symptom of pregnancy, while wondering whether one of the embryos successfully implanted itself into the mother candidate’s uterus.IVF or ICSI procedures require the woman to undergo a hormonal treatment which may trigger pregnancy symptoms even if she does not finally get pregnant.
• Spotting: The first sign of pregnancy you might notice after your IVF embryo transfer procedure is light bleeding or spotting. The blood you see will be dark brown or possibly black in colour. If this happens, it is a good sign, because it means the embryo has implanted itself into your uterus. If, however, the bleeding is bright red or close to when your period is scheduled to begin, it probably is not caused by implantation bleeding.
• Cramping: IVF embryo transfer procedure is cramping. Many women describe the cramping experienced with implantation as being similar to menstrual cramping.
• Breast Changes: Some women who have an IVF procedure that is successful notice almost immediate breast changes. The breasts may become sore and tender to the touch, the nipples will probably also become quite sensitive. Some women report feeling these symptoms as soon as a week or two after an IVF is performed provided it is successful. It is also important to note that the progesterone hormone therapies used can also lead to breast changes, whether there is a pregnancy or not.
• Absence of menstruation: your period should come approximately 14 days after embryo transfer.
• Nausea: it is due to the hormonal increasing which takes place within the woman’s body. It is the typical pregnancy symptom, although not every woman presents it.
While it is hard, it is important to try and remain patient until such time that you are able to determine whether or not you are pregnant through a urine or blood test performed by your doctor. It is also important that you not lose hope should the pregnancy test come back negative. Many couples have to try several times before they are successful so do not lose hope.